Sorte Firkant aim is to create a space where people and artists from various different backgrounds and professions can come together and develop their work collectively or individually; to create a community of sharing of work and experiences; a platform where to discuss your work in an intimate and cozy setting and to take that work further to the public.
The history of the Name
Sorte Firkant (Black Square) was the historical name for the area around Blågårdsplads where we are located. There are several different ideas as to why the neighbourhood was referred to as Den Sorte Firkant. Sorte Firkant aims to work on the history and specificity of the square, but through affect, spontaneity and coincidence we want to wrest the square from its fixture – and create an abstracted space that is has detached itself from its confinements of a square and becomes a circle. An space, where people can come together through the artistic practices and transport themselves to different dimensions.
- Concerts & sound art: we host concerts focusing on Jazz and experimental music from around the world.
- Cine Club: The Year the Film Returned shows experimental films and video art from around the world.
- Mother Tongue: Poetry Nights: invites people to read and perform in their Mother Tongue or native language.
- Sorte Firkant for Kids, art & creative workshops for kids.
- Saturday Mezze: taste is integral link to memory. Our kitchen serves delicious home made Mediterranean Mezze every Saturday, please note that reservation is required we also cook for bigger events.
- Abajour is Sorte Firkant's project space: showing art works, performance and installations.
- We host other people's projects and events incl. film screenings, talks, book launches and performance nights. If you have a project get in contact.